Barbara Ery is a teaching artist in south eastern Ohio with the Carlton School. This activity can be expanded to include a variety of materials and designs.
This activity is a paper quilt inspired by artist Faith Ringgold. Talk about things you like to do with your family. Is there a favorite trip or place you remember? Faith Ringgold is a American artist. She tells her stories in art by making art quilts. Check her out at her website by clicking here,
Large sheet of drawing paper
pencil with eraser
container of water
1. Begin by creating a large square in the center of your paper. This will be the focal point of your paper quilt.
2. Using a ruler draw lines out from center block. These spaces are for your memory blocks.
3. Continue with the pencil, then switch to oil pastels to draw in the large family block and the outer memory blocks.
4. Leave spaces around your drawing for adding details. Make little fancy stitches around the lines between the blocks just like a fabric quilt.
5. To finish, paint each square to cover all remaining white paper areas ( use the watercolors). Remember to put down newspaper first.